Fire Damage Emergency Tips
What you can do until help arrives
Our Colorado Springs and Black Forest SERVPRO regularly addresses house and building fires in our local area. Our team is the premier fire restoration team and a responsive and reliable partner to the local community.
There are many things that need to be addressed when tackling a fire damage restoration project: smoke damage, fire damage, content restoration, and water damage. Knowing where to begin, who to call, and things to avoid can easily become overwhelming.
For this reason, our team is here to help. Below are some tips about the next steps if you find yourself in a fire damage predicament.
Have Smoke or Fire Damage? Call (719) 573-8312
What To Do After A Fire
- Limit movement in the home to prevent soot particles from being embedded into upholstery and carpets.
- Keep hands clean so as not to further soil upholstery, walls and woodwork.
- Place clean towels or old linens on rugs, upholstery and carpet traffic areas.
- If electricity is off, empty freezer and refrigerator and prop doors open.
- Clean and protect chrome with light coating of petroleum jelly or oil.
- Wash houseplants on both sides of leaves.
- Change HVAC filter.
- Tape double layers of cheesecloth over air registers.
What NOT To Do After A Fire
- Don't attempt to wash any walls or painted surfaces or shampoo carpet or upholstery without contacting us.
- Don't attempt to clean any electrical appliances that may have been close to fire, heat or water without consulting an authorized repair service.
- Don't use any canned or packaged food or beverages that may have been stored near the fire, heat or water.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet. The wiring may be damaged.
- Don't send garments to an ordinary dry cleaner. Improper cleaning may set smoke odor.